Friday, March 11, 2011

What's Cooking?: A Collection of Recipe Favorites

Ever since our youngest has turned 2 and become a little more independent, I feel like I am re-discovering my love of cooking and food. I have always loved to bake for special occasions but cooking just wasn't my thing. I think that it probably had to do with trying to occupy 3 young children while I was attempting to prepare the night's meal or that fact that I wasn't always the best at planning out our menu. Either way, my new-found love of discovering recipes that our family can prepare together and enjoy has inspired me to start a collection of posts called {What's Cooking?}. I will be sharing family favorites as well as great new recipe finds. Appetizers, entrees, desserts, and everything in between will be included. Maybe some of my favorites will make their way into your home. Whether you add them to your weeknight menu line-up or share them with guests at your next Shindig, I hope that I am able to inspire you to re-discover your love of food as well!

Last week I shared the first recipe in the {What's Cooking?} collection, Grilled Zucchini Poppers. This week's recipe is a new Cooking Light find that our family just recently tried and LOVED. It is healthy, hearty, and easy to prepare for a quick weeknight meal.



Caprese Wraps with Chicken

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 cups prechopped hearts of romaine lettuce
1 1/2 cups shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
3/4 cup (3 ounces) fresh mozzarella cheese, chopped
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
Cooking spray
4 (2.8-ounce) multigrain flatbreads (such as Flatout)
1 large garlic clove, halved

Preparation
1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add lettuce and next 4 ingredients (through tomatoes), tossing to coat.

2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Working with 1 flatbread at a time, cook bread 1 minute on each side or until toasted. Rub 1 side of each flatbread with cut sides of garlic. Arrange 1 1/2 cups chicken mixture in the center of each flatbread; roll up.

* A few side notes: I do not eat meat but my husband and oldest son do. So, I prepared all of the ingredients and added the chicken in at the end, allowing the meat-free wraps to be prepared first. I have used balsamic vinegar in place of the white wine vinegar...yummy! Also, you can use any type of shredded chicken that you have leftover or on hand. My husband used Tyson's All Natural Crispy Chicken Strips one night and loved the result. Experiment and have fun!

Nutritional Information
Calories:328
Fat:15.9g (sat 4.5g,mono 6.2g,poly 2.7g)
Protein:30.3g
Carbohydrate:22g
Fiber:9.5g
Cholesterol:61mg
Iron:2.9mg
Sodium:573mg
Calcium:180mg

No comments:

Post a Comment