Saturday, March 19, 2011

{DIY} Pom Pom Backdrop Tutorial

I have had many requests for a tutorial on how to make Pom Pom Backdrops. They are super easy, very inexpensive, and so versatile. These can be used as a backdrop for a dessert table, art on the wall to add to your parties decor, or as a "photo booth" backdrop.



To create, you will need:
  • 1 large piece of foam board or several smaller pieces of foam board, depending on what size you want the backdrop to be
  • Tissue paper, in assorted colors of your choice
  • Floral wire
  • Hot glue gun
  • Scissors

If you are using several pieces of foam board, begin by taping your foam board pieces together to create the overall backdrop size that you want. I suggest using a heavy tape, such as duck tape or packaging tape. Simply run tape along the seams of two pieces of foam board (on the backside).

Now you are ready to start making your tissue paper pom poms. Martha Stewart provides an excellent tutorial on how to do this, which I have provided below. (Pictures from Martha Stewart).


Step 1
Stack eight 20-by-30-inch sheets of tissue. Make 1 1/2-inch-wide accordion folds, creasing with each fold.

Step 2
Fold an 18-inch piece of floral wire in half, and slip over center of folded tissue; twist. With scissors, trim ends of tissue into rounded or pointy shapes.

Step 3
Separate layers, pulling away from center one at a time.

Now that your pom poms are made, begin gluing rows of pom poms onto your foam board backdrop using a hot glue gun. I suggest laying the board flat during this process and applying the glue at the center of the pom pom, where the wire has been wrapped. I chose to alternate colors but your backdrop design is only limited by your imagination. Have fun!

10 comments:

  1. Awesome! I've been wanting to learn how to make the pompoms for awhile. I love the backdrop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so doing this for my next party.
    http://rockstarpartyplace.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I needed this tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always on the look out for backdrop ideas.... so CUTE! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet! I love the Hello Kitty cupcakes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started working on this last night for my baby shower this weekend. WIll post pics soon. Looks so cute!
    http://www.theandrewsteam.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank God! I have checked out 3 different sites I pinned looking how to do these and I finally found the good one! Can't wait to make them for a patio party and grad party.
    Suelln

    ReplyDelete