Tuesday, March 29, 2011

{Crafty Ideas} Pottery Barn Kids Inspired Easter Yard Sign

I always get so excited when a new Pottery Barn Kids catalog shows up in my mailbox. Not only do I love their products, but their catalog serves as a great resource for decorating inspiration and ideas. Their latest issue features all of their fabulous Easter decor. Among my favorites are these Easter Yard Signs:

So cute, right? I decided that these would be a great accessory for this year's Easter party that I am planning but I really didn't want to spend $49 on a yard sign. So, I decided to make my own.

Here's what you will need:

- 1 Painter's Canvas (I used an 8 x 10 just because that is what I had at home)
- Assorted Paint colors
- Paint brushes
- 1 Wooden Stake
- Staple Gun
- Assorted Stencils if desired

Instructions: Be creative and have fun! Let go of your fear of "messing" up. Unless you are artistically gifted in drawing/painting (I am NOT), it probably won't be "perfect". If you want perfect, pay $49 for the Pottery Barn Kids version. This would also be a fun craft for you kids to help out with.

- I began by painting the entire canvas light blue. I did coats, allowing each to dry about 15 minutes in between.
- I just painted everything by hand. If you want, you can purchase stencils to guide you and the end result may look a little less crafty ;)
- Once my sign was complete, I used a staple gun to attach the painted canvas to the wooden stake.



The entire project took me under 1 hour to complete and cost next to nothing (I think about $4 total!). These painted canvasas are great for birthday parties and other holidays as well. Be creative and have fun!

5 comments:

  1. Adorable! Where did you find the canvas for a good price?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Maybe Sheek Shindigs can make another one and put it in my yard! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can find the canvas at your local craft store. I bought this one in a 6-pack at Michaels. They are 8 x 10.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are an artist! That's awesome for painting it by hand!

    ReplyDelete