Thursday, December 15, 2011

{DIY} 5-Pointed Paper Snowflake Garland

I have been feeling crafty lately. Can you tell?  I had paper snowflakes on my mind today and searched around for a tutorial. Lucky for me (and you!), I came across Jessica Jones of How About Orange. Jessica is a seriously talented crafter/designer/blogger. You should stop by and check her out, here. Anyway, Jessica has a great tutorial on her blog for making a 5-Pointed Snowflake Garland. Isn't it pretty. My paper snowflakes have never turned out this beautiful before. I am hoping that her detailed tutorial will make all the difference for me this year.

Jessica made this garland using origami paper, tape, and dental floss. The second and third flakes in her garland are based on a 5-pointed star. You can download her folding directions here.

The first, fourth, and fifth flakes in the garland are based on 8 points (Fold a square in half diagonally and keep halving it until it's nearly too thick to cut, then snip out small shapes ). Here is an example of an 8-pointer. Jessica recommends ironing your snowflakes with the steam setting of your iron turned off to get them to lay nice and flat.

These snowflakes also make beautiful gift toppers, don't you think? Or, make smaller ones to hang on your tree.

Thank you so much for the wonderful tutorial, Jessica. I am going to give these flakes a try and hope for the best this time around.


  1. Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in CBH Digital Scrapbooking Freebies, under the Page 4 post on Dec. 16, 2011. Thanks again.

  2. Too pretty to give away...but 'tis the season!