Thursday, November 4, 2010

DIY Thanksgiving Treat Holders

If you are a Pottery Barn Kids lover like myself, you have probably seen their adorable Thanksgiving Collection.


I love the traditional Thanksgiving elements, including Pilgrim Hats and Turkey Headpieces, turkey-shaped placemats, and a Mayflower inspired centerpiece. When I first got the fall catalogue and saw this collection, my eyes immediatley went to their Sailboat Treat Holders.



These treat holders are super cute and can be used a place cards as well. Wouldn't you know they are sold out. No problem. You can make your own! That's what I did. Here are the SUPER EASY DIY instructions:

You will need:

1 Piece of Brown Felt
1 Piece of Cream Felt
1 Wooden Dowel Rod (mine was cute to measure 9")
1 Piece of 1"x1" floral foam
Scissors
Glue Gun
Small Hole Punch

Step One:


Cut two pieces of brown felt into the shape of a boat. Cut the cream felt to resemble a sail (mine measured roughly 3 3/4" x 3 1/2", with the top of the sailing being slightly less narrow).

Step Two:


Using a hot glue gun, glue the sides and bottom of your brown boat pieces together. Do not glue the top portion, as this needs to be open for treats!

Step Three:


Using a small hole punch, punch a hole in the top middle and bottom middle of your sail. Thread your wooden rod through the holes.

Step Four:


Stick the bottom end of your wooden rod into a 1 x 1 piece of floral foam.

Step Five:


Secure the floral foam to the bottom of your boat using the glue gun.

You are done! Fill your Sailboat Treat Holder with the goodies of your choice and enjoy!



** If using as a place card, you can either use a heavy cardstock with names printed or written on them for the sails or you can write directly on the felt sails.

13 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! I posted the link on my facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea!

    Shelley @ http://divinepartyconcepts.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I followed the instructions to the tee and my boats will not stand up. I keep rearranging the candy to see if it helps but it doesn't. Please tell me that I am doing something wrong because I would hate to have a wasted craft.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What type of felt did you use...stiff or regular? If you iron the bottom of your boat to create a flat surface it should help. If this doesn't work, take two small pieces of a wooden rod and glue them to the bottom of your boat to create a stable base. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Which type of felt is the one that you used? Stiff or regular? I want to try these and make sure I get the right one. These are great! I have called every PB Kids Store to see if they have them and theyre OUT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You inspired me and my family to give this craft a try...and we all loved the results! Thank you so much. :)

    Here's our take: http://bit.ly/96sCQc

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just stopping by to let you know that I have featured your project on Fun Family Crafts! You can see it here
    http://funfamilycrafts.com/thanksgiving-treat-holders/

    If you have other kid friendly crafts, I'd love it if you would submit them :) If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.

    ReplyDelete
  8. really, really cute. i am in love with the little boat, good for adults too. :)

    http://c2marcano.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much, I did see the pottery barn book and came looking how to make my own mayflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cutest kids table ever! Love the pirate ship treat boats! Wish I was having Thanksgiving at my house this year so I could do something like this! Thanks, Jenna

    ReplyDelete