No summer is complete without a few S'mores filled nights, especially if children are involved. While I have indulged in my share of the original form, I just recently tried my hand at the newly popular cupcake version. The other week I came across an original s'mores cupcake recipe over at Martha Stewart from Jennifer Shea of Trophy Cupcakes. While Jennifer's recipe is AMAZING, I wanted to simplify her version, making it a little easier for my kids to help out with the preparation process and allowing us more time to enjoy the yummy treat. I combined Jennifer's graham cracker/chocolate crust and topping with a box of Devil's Food Cake and an easy-to-whip-up Marshmallow Frosting. Here is what I came up with:
Double Chocolate S'mores Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 20 squares...I used my food processor)
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- miniature Hersey bars
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips, coarsely chopped
- 1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 1 8 ounce container Marshmallow Cream
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- about 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup sugar, and melted butter in a large bowl. Stir until combined.
- Spoon approximately 1 tablespoon of the graham cracker mixture into the bottom of each muffin cup and pack using the bottom of a small glass. Reserve the remaining graham cracker mixture for the topping.
- Place a miniature Hersey bar in each muffin cup on top of graham cracker crust. Place muffin tins in the oven for about 5 minutes, until crust is golden and chocolate is melted (the chocolate may hold its shape...just spread the melted chocolate out over the graham cracker crust). Remove tins from the oven.
- Prepare Devil's Food Cake mix as directed and fill each muffin cup about 2/3 full with cake mixture.
- Combine remaining graham cracker mixture with chopped chocolate chips and sprinkle over each muffin tin, completely covering the top.
- Return muffin tins to the oven and bake for about 18-20 minutes, until tops are firm and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Place muffins on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare Marshmallow Frosting: Mix 8 oz of Marshmallow Cream with softened butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla using an electric mixer on low speed until thick and creamy. Top cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting and Enjoy!
* A facebook follower suggested filling the cupcakes with the Marshmallow Frosting instead of topping them with it. I love this idea as well!